Surgical positioning equipment is a tool that you use to increase safety and efficiency in the operating room. However, optimal safety begins with proper positioning–so it’s crucial that you and your team are up-to-date on the AST standards of surgical positioning & practice, which include:
- Standard 1: Your team should be familiarized with the goals of performing safe & effective positioning on a patient.
- Standard 2: During operation planning, all team members must be informed of any physiological factors that affect the positioning procedure.
- Standard 3: Based on preoperative assessments, you should anticipate the needed positioning equipment.
- Standard 4: All surgical team members should understand the needs of special patient populations and implement precautions.
- Standard 5: During planning, surgical staff needs to be informed if the patient is a falling risk.
- Standard 6: The operating team needs to abide by ergonomic positioning principles.
- Standard 7: Patients that have been placed on the OR table are not to be abandoned.
- Standard 8: Surgical technologists should assist in patient positioning under direct observation of the surgeon.
- Standard 9: After patients have been positioned, the surgical team needs to assess the position.
- Standard 10: Patient positioning and equipment need to be documented in OR/intraoperative records.
- Standard 11: All surgical staff should keep up on the latest education in patient positioning, equipment, and safety practices.
- Standard 12: Healthcare facilities should review policies and procedures annually.
At KLM Medical Equipment we are proud to offer facilities all over the USA surgical positioning equipment from the most respected suppliers in the business. From Infinitus Medical Technology to WEG, Care Surgical, and more, we ensure that you’re getting quality equipment that improves outcomes for your patients and your staff. With an emphasis on safety and efficiency, we not only provide your facility with the equipment that it needs but implement training and follow-ups to ensure that your equipment is being used to its full potential.
For more than 20 years we’ve been the preferred surgical positioning equipment company in the nation! Call us today at 913-449-3665 to chat about your surgical equipment needs.